Sunflowers in bloom.

Progress is being made on my newest design, Sunflowers for Sarah.  As always, when I hook a new design I find areas that need to be tweaked.  I originally thought I’d suggest a partial stem and leaves for a few of the flowers in the foreground.  But I also wanted a few of the petals to overlap the 2” border [not drawn on the pattern yet].  Design-wise I couldn’t make sense of that.  Either the vantage point of the lower flowers would be far enough away that the stems and leaves would be showing, or the perspective would be very close up on those lower flowers, so only some of their petals would hang down.  I chose the latter, because I do like a bit of the design to overlap the border.  This creates a more intimate relationship between the viewer and those design elements [the lower flowers, in this case].

I also made a few color changes as I got further on with the hooking.  I decided to insert a bit of the bright yellow-green here and there with the dark green, to suggest foliage.  And I had to pick a different color wool for the mountain.  The wool I had chosen originally is just too close in value to the darker spot dyed green of the foliage.

I like to have the freedom to change my mind as I hook a rug.  I have an idea of what the finished rug will look like, but it’s never “written in stone”.  That’s the fun part of the creative process.  Going with the flow.

There’s a lot of beauty out there and in the process of hooking a rug for someone special.

Hooking au plein air while doing a yard sale this weekend.

Hooking au plein air while doing a yard sale this weekend.

I got quite a bit done over the weekend.  Only three more flowers to go and then on to the mountain!

I got quite a bit done over the weekend.  Only three more flowers to go and then on to the mountain!