As I continue to hook The Fox and the Grapes, let me pause and explain how I attached the quillie grapes to the linen. After making the individual quillies, I sewed them invisibly to each other to form the clusters of grapes. This is done by sewing horizontally through one quillie and into the next one. Then I sewed the clusters to the linen. You can see from the photo (below) of the back of the linen that my sewing isn’t all that neat, but it gets the job done. Even though the quillies were now in clusters, I still had to be sure to sew each grape to the linen so they wouldn’t pop up.
Hooking around the quillie clusters leaves a blank area on the back of the linen. I may choose to back the entire mat with a piece of wool when it’s finished, but that remains to be seen.
I also got out the dye pots this past week and made some pretty yummy green and purple wool for the background. I’m hooking the background in 8.5 cuts, which are nice and wide. I want the background around the magpie and the grapes to have an impressionistic look. The purple and green spot dyed wool will give the suggestion of other grapes in that area.
The Fox and the Grapes is moving along nicely so far. Stay tuned as I finish the dark areas on the left and bottom of the design and then do something entirely different for the central area where the fox is situated.
There’s a lot of beauty out there and in the delight of “painting with wool”.