I have admitted in the past to being a reluctant wool dyer, and that’s the truth. Now that I have hooked the dogs’ heads, necks, and collars, it’s on to their spotted chests. That will require some spot dyed wool.
I pre-soaked some natural wool and accordion-folded it in a casserole pan. I put citric acid into the hot water in the pan, so the dye would go into the wool quickly and not spread out too much. I made up some chestnut dye and sprinkled it here and there on the wool. Into the oven it went for half an hour, then a cool down and a rinse and dry. It looked promising, but the test will be when I cut a few strips and hook some loops. Fingers crossed!
The spot dyed dog-spot wool works. I am using a wider #8 cut, so the spots will appear larger, and I’m happy with the look it gives. As soon as I hook Whiskey’s chest and all four paws, it’s on to the background and the hooked frame border. Colors to be determined. I like to see a piece evolve and emerge as I hook along. One thing leads to another.
There’s a lot of beauty out there and in the unfolding of one’s artistic vision.